Sunday 10 May 2015

Getting punched in the face by reality - 10th May

Hello everybody! Im sorry i havent blogged in soooo long, but you know how the internet is out in the jungle (Well you dont, but as I've mentioned before, its impossible). My last few weeks in the jungle were incredible and magical and my head is swimming with so many good memories and great things that i cant even think of any specific moments to mention right now, so i'll have to do a recap/highlights post sometime soon.

But now the inevitable has happened- I've left the jungle and my beloved MLC, and my reintroduction to civilisation couldnt have gone any less smoothly. Leaving the MLC on Thursday was HORRIBLE. On wednesday night we had a goodbye presentation for all of us that were leaving, given by one of my best buddies Johanna, and it was so sweet and amazing to see a recap of all of the incredible things we got to do and see there. Anyway, afterwards, there was a lot of mushy gushy letter exchanging and tears, and Thursday morning was the same- so many tears, and it was honestly kind of heartbreaking to say goodbye to such a beautiful place and so many amazing people and a place that becomes your home, but i was also happy (somewhere deeeep deep down, i think) because i really did have the best time of my whole life, and met amazing people who i hope will be friends for life. I keep rambling and getting emotional, sorry, i'll get back to the point now.

 So i woke up on thursday with pain all over my body, but i just put it down to the stress of leaving- anyway, on the bus on the way back to Cusco (8 hours of cliff edges and winding roads) i started getting colder and colder, and my body was in so much pain, and then after we stopped for lunch, everything goes blank, i cant remember a thing. I got a really bad fever, my temperature was craaazy high, like 49.5 and i was all delusional, rambling about boats and too many hippies, which is actually really funny. As soon as we got back to cusco, Jas from the Crees office and my friend Amie took me to the hospital, and they gave me a drip and some oxygen, and thats basically where I've been for most of my time back in Cusco- they said it was a stomach infection, but thats kind of vague. who knows, it sucked whatever it was.

Anyway, they let me out yesterday, just as my friends left for their Machu Picchu treks, so i decided to go back to the hostel i stayed at when i first got here and get a private room for a couple of nights until i was feeling better- that hostel didnt have any rooms, so i went to one just down the road which looked really cute and had a nice little courtyard, and they had a room free, but only in their "other building". So i was like, this is probably going to be a disaster but whatever, I'm tired, so i followed the woman about 5 minutes away, down some weird alley that smells like pee, into a tiny hostel that smells like dirty nappies, into a tiny room that is bathed in flourescent green light due to the yellow and blue plastic covering the skylight (why??) with no common area, no tv and shitty wifi. Then in the evening, when i was freezing cold and wantedwanted to have a hot shower, there was no hot water, so that didnt happen, so i just gave them all of my disgusting damp clothes to wash, watched a movie and went to bed. So aaannyywayy this morning i woke up with a killer headache, which probably wasnt helped by the flourescent green light, and went to have a shower after i was told that The water was fixed, which it wasnt, it was ice cold. And then i got my laundry back, and they'vthey've managed to shrink basically ALL on my clothes, so now all of my tops are crop tops and all of my trousers and leggings are ankle grazers. So it wasnt a great morning. Anyway now im sitting in starbucks trying to spend as much time away from the hostel as possible, and ive just booked myself into the hostel that my friends will be staying at after their trek, in a dorm room so at least i wont be so looonesome anymore. I was supposed to go to Machu Picchu today but obviously i had to postpone that, so hopefully i'll get to go on the 13th instead so that i might have a chance of meeting up with my friends who'll arrive there that day. And then on the 15th, some of my other friends from the MLC will be arriving in cusco, so i cant waaaaiiittt for that! I need to get out of my post jungle slump.

Anyway, this has been a long, ranty downer of a blog post, so apologies for that, but whatever, now I've set the scene for you and you can get a good image of me sitting in starbucks in short trousers and a short shirt, with a banging headache, whishing everyone would shut up. Love you all and miss you loads, cant wait to hear about what everyones been up to! Xxx

1 comment: